Gallery and Print Shop Manager – Full time position available
Gallery 16, a contemporary fine art gallery and Urban Digital Color, a fine art printmaking studio, were established in 1993. Gallery 16 has presented over 200 exhibitions with some of the world's foremost contemporary artists. UDC was among the first printmaking facilities in the world to produce artists editions with digital printmaking technology.
The Gallery Manager is responsible for working directly with exhibiting & collaborating artists, clients and engaging with the public while managing all aspects of day to day operations of both Gallery 16 and Urban Digital Color. The Gallery Manager reports directly to the gallery’s Founder/Owner, Griff Williams. Gallery 16 also functions as a venue for occasional events. The manager will in addition be responsible for coordinating and managing event rentals as needed.
This is full time position, Monday – Friday, 9 to 5pm with flexibility during installation/deinstallation weeks and certain evenings.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects the gallery’s definition of primary responsibilities for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The Founder/Owner may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
• Serve as the main point of contact for artists within the gallery; build and maintain artist relationships
• Cultivate sales opportunities, particularly with museums, collectors, art consultants, etc.
• Coordinate shipping, packing and installation of works with artists
• Manage exhibition programming as needed, including writing/editing press release information, reaching out to press regarding upcoming exhibitions and artists’ news/projects
• Manage the installation and deinstallation of exhibitions
• Manage all gallery communications
• Manage all sales records and accounting (accounts receivable; accounts payable; quotes, invoices and receipts); adjust databases – both publicly and internally - to reflect changes in inventory
• Maintain the gallery's online presence including website, social media, and email
marketing and online marketplaces (i.e. Artsy, 1stDibs)
• Manage and track all gallery inventory
• Manage all supporting staff; delegate work to gallery assistant
• Maintain all gallery "back of house" areas – including cleaning, organizing, restocking as needed
• Regularly responsible for creation of all official documents regarding loans, consignments, proposals, sales, quotes, etc.
• Assisting the gallery owner
• Engage with the public in touring them through exhibitions, answering questions and engaging with visitors in an eloquent, welcoming and well articulated manner
URBAN DIGITAL COLOR
• Prepare all paperwork for incoming projects and printing/scanning requests & relay all information to master printers
• Receive inquiries and direct to master printers when needed
• Consult and provide pricing, options and estimated production time to potential clients
• Manage all invoices/accounts receivable
• Ensure the timely and neat packaging/shipment of outgoing orders
• Order printing supplies and materials as needed
• Receive & respond to inquiries by phone and email
• Coordinate & handle site visits with potential clients
• Manage all rental bookings, contracts & invoices
• Provide instruction for all vendors & clients as needed before and during the event
• Manage the events calendar
• Must be organized and self-directed
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Professional and poised phone manner
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated sales ability
• Must be able to multitask in a fast paced environment
• Feels comfortable dealing with clients, artists and the public
• Knowledge of contemporary and 20th Century art, specifically Bay Area artists, organizations
• Proficient use of MS Office Suite, Thunderbird/Gmail, Adobe Photoshop & InDesign, Mail Chimp, Account Edge Pro, Filemaker Pro and basic website maintenance
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum 1 to 2 years gallery or museum experience in comparable role, with emphasis placed on demonstrated qualities. A current knowledge of contemporary visual arts and art history is also necessary.
Please send cover letter and resume to Griff@gallery16.com